University of Wales

Study for a Higher Degree 

Full-time Study and Research:

The University of Wales is a federal organisation and all teaching and research is carried out in the institutions of the University, not in the central University of Wales Registry in Cardiff, to which you have directed your enquiry.

Listed below are web links for the relevant institutions of the University of Wales, along with their postal address, telephone and fax numbers and an e-mail address for requesting a prospectus or making further enquiries.  On the web pages will be shown the academic departments in which teaching and research are carried out at each institution.

I would advise you to browse one or more of the institution web pages and look carefully at the lists of departments.  You should then contact directly the Postgraduate Admissions Office of the institution at which you wish to study.

Please note that admissions are dealt with by the Institution Registries directly and not by the University of Wales Registry.

External or Distance Leaning:

If you are interested in studying for a higher degree by methods of study which are variously described as: correspondence, external, limited attendance, non-resident, independent, or distance learning then you are advised that it is possible to conduct research for the degree of MPhil or PhD at one of the member institutions of the University of Wales listed here, by means of part-time external study.

Initial enquiries and admissions are dealt with by the individual Institutions, not by the University of Wales Registry. Part-time external students must:

        be offered a place by the Postgraduate Admissions Office of the Institution concerned

        register/enrol as students of the Institution and pay an annual tuition fee. 

If you are interested in part-time external study for a research degree (MPhil or PhD), you should check the departments of study listed on the web pages referenced below and write to the Postgraduate Admissions Officer of the Institution at which you wish to study, requesting application materials.

I hope you have found this information helpful and that you will decide to apply for admission to one of the institutions of the federal University of Wales.

D J Bradley
Academic Secretary, University of Wales 
University Registry
King Edward VII Avenue
Cathays Park 
CF10 3NS

Member Institutions:

University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Old College, King Street Aberystwyth, Ceredigion SY23 2AX Wales

University of Wales, Bangor
Bangor, Gwynedd LL57 2DG Wales

Cardiff University
PO Box 68, Cardiff CF10 3XA Wales

University of Wales Swansea
Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP Wales

University of Wales College of Medicine (Cardiff)
Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN Wales

University of Wales, Lampeter
Lampeter, Ceredigion SA48 7ED Wales

University of Wales Institute, Cardiff
Address: Western Avenue Cardiff CF5 2YB  

University of Wales College, Newport
Address: Caerleon Campus PO Box 179 Newport NP18 3YG

It is also possible to conduct research at the following institutions of the University of Wales:

Associated Institutions:

North East Wales Institute
Plas Coch, Mold Road, Wrexham LL11 2AW

Swansea Institute of Higher Education
Town Hill Campus, Town Hill Road, Swansea SA2 0UT

Trinity College
Carmarthen, Carmarthenshire SA31 3EP

Copyright 2004. Target Consultancy . Developed & hosted by digitech